Frequently Asked Questions

Who inspects businesses permitted to sell and serve alcoholic beverages in Cramerton?
The Cramerton Police Department has been contracted to provide ABC enforcement under G.S. 18B‐501(f) within the Town of Cramerton and shall have authority to investigate the operation of each licensed premises for which an ABC permit has been issued, to make inspections that include viewing the entire premises, and to examine the books and records of the permittee. The inspection authorized by G.S. 18B-502 may be made at any time it reasonably appears that someone is on the premises. NC Alcohol Law Enforcement Agents are also authorized to be on the premises to the extent necessary to enforce the provisions of Article 68 of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.

Do all on-premise licensed establishments have to comply with the new recycling legislation that took effect in January 2008?
Yes. All on-premise licensed establishments must initiate and maintain a recycling program that is in compliance with the legislation that became effective January 1, 2008.

How old must a person be to purchase, possess, or consume alcohol?
21 years old

How old must a person be to work in an establishment that sells alcohol?
(a) Age Requirements: Brownbagging, Mixed Beverages and Special Occasion Permits shall have an employee who is at least 21 years of age in charge of the licensed premises at all times.

(b) Age Requirements: Malt Beverage, Unfortified Wine, or Fortified Wine Permits shall have an employee who is at least 18 years old in charge of the licensed premises at all times.

(c) Bartenders: Brownbagging, Mixed Beverages, and Special Occasion Permits. No person under the age of 21 may be employed by any permittee to mix drinks containing distilled spirits.

(d) Waiters and Waitresses: Age of persons employed in the preparation serving, sale or delivery of alcoholic beverages at any establishment holding permits for the on-premise sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages are governed by the provisions of The Wage and Hour Act, Article 2A of Chapter 95 of the N.C. General Statutes.

(e) Off-Premise Permits: This rule does not prohibit the employment of minors at an establishment holding only off-premise permits for the retail sale of malt beverages or wine.

Who may purchase alcohol?
(a) Persons 21 years of age.

(b) It shall be unlawful for a permittee to sell or give alcoholic beverages to any person who is intoxicated.

(c) Any person authorized to sell alcoholic beverages may refuse to sell to anyone.

Who can sell alcohol?
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell alcoholic beverages, or possess any alcoholic beverages for sale, without first obtaining the applicable ABC permit and revenue license.

Can I make my own beer or wine?
An individual may make, possess, and transport native wines and malt beverages for his own use and the use of his family and guest.

How much alcohol can I transport?
(a) 80 liters of malt beverage, any amount of malt beverages in kegs.

(b) 50 liters of unfortified wine

(c) 8 liters of fortified wine or distilled spirits or any combination of the two.

(d) Greater amounts of unfortified, fortified wines, and distilled spirits may be transported with a transportation permit that can be obtained at a local ABC store.

How do I obtain an ABC Permit?
Contact the North Carolina Alcohol Beverage Control Commission at 919-779-0700 or receive more information and an application at

How do I report a permitted establishment violating the ABC Laws or Regulations?
If the business is in Cramerton, you may contact the Cramerton Police Department at 704.824.7964 to file a complaint or you may file your complaint by sending an e-mail to

Can I possess alcoholic beverages on Town of Cramerton property?
In General, possession of any alcoholic beverage on Town of Cramerton property is not allowed and is a violation of the Town of Cramerton Code of Ordinances. The Town of Cramerton does allow a Limited Special Occasion Permit (LSOP) to be obtained for special events held on Town Property. Persons who have properly rented Town of Cramerton property (park shelter, community center, etc.) and have obtained any required State of North Carolina Special Occasion Permit(s) may then apply to the Town of Cramerton for a LSOP in order to possess the alcoholic beverage on Town property.